Sunday, 1 February 2015

The Cupcake post.

There is no denying it, I love cupcakes. Sweet treats are definitely my weakness because I enjoy baking them so much too! Today, because it was a Sunday I decided to try out some of my new recipe books that I got for Christmas. I finally chose to bake classic Vanilla Cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook because I wanted to experiment with different toppings.


For toppings, I chose to do Flake,


Coconut and Blueberry,


Chocolate Digestive Biscuit,


And Salted Caramel



My favourite was probably the Digestive Biscuit, but they were all so delicious!
I used fresh vanilla in my cupcakes and frosting which gave them such an amazing flavour, but vanilla extract works as well too. I also finished them all off with some edible glitter!


Here is the recipe I used:


For the cake:

  • 120g plain flour
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 120ml whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • ¼tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 quantity vanilla frosting


For the vanilla frosting:

  • 250g icing sugar, sifted
  • 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 25ml whole milk
  • a couple of drops of vanilla extract


  • Method

    For the cake:
    1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
    2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
    3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
    4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched.
    5. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
    6. When the cupcakes are cold, decorate with vanilla frosting.
    For the vanilla frosting:
    1. Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
    2. Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
    3. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.


  • Let me know what you think of my cupcakes and toppings? and if you decide to make some of your own, let me know how they turn out as I would love to know

xx



13 comments:

  1. these have made me so hungry, they're all gorgeous xx
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh these look uhhh-mazing! I love cupcakes!
    So sweet and adorable!
    Cheers, Britt
    www.justbritt.co

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg these look delicious! I'm really craving cupcakes now and I'm trying to eat healthy noo!

    www.rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you and haha sorry! I was too actually but I cant resist cupcakes! xx

      Delete
  4. These look so nice!!!!! Making me soooooooo hungry! Going to have to go and eat now....

    fitfatfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this is making me sooo hungry! Lovely post and cute blog

    x

    >>Fashion Nerdette Blog<<

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so tasty! I wish my piping was as neat as yours XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing!!
    notyouraveragestyleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe